The following article on nail polish is excerpted from our October 2013 Newsletter…
Every step you can take towards improving your health counts. Cosmetics and personal care products are a big area where you can make healthier choices, simply. Take nail polish, for example. The nail polish for sale at your local drugstore contains multiple ingredients that are toxic for your health such as camphor (antidotes most homeopathic remedies in addition to its health effects) and known carcinogens such as formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and toluene, just to name a few.
So, yes, there are safe alternatives to nail polishes. Yes, you still have to remove them with very toxic rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. But overall, they are somewhat safer. So if you aren’t willing to ditch nail polish all together, then consider using one of the following brands instead:
1. Piggy Paint, non-toxic, odorless, kid-friendly, kid-colored, water-based formula.
2. Honeybee Gardens, an alternative to solvent-based nail polish, water-based, odorless, removes with rubbing alcohol.
3. No-Miss, does not contain the three-to-avoid above, and also does not contain camphor. (One of OUR FAVORITES since it has NO CAMPHOR!)
4. Acquarella, water-based system of nail polish, conditioner, remover and moisturizer.
5. Suncoat, water-based nail polish that has been recognized and honored from the Canadian Health Food Association Expo.
6. Gaiam, Created by New York City’s first organic spa, free of known carcinogens.
7. Peacekeeper Cause-Metics, created by the Environmental Working Group as the safest paint-based natural nail polish.
8. Sante, created without the use of formaldehydes, toluene, and colophony rosin.
9. Nubar, carcinogen-free nail care products.
10. Safe Nail Polish, non-toxic, odorless, made in the USA.
11. Priti, non-toxic, made without the evil-three and all know carcinogenic ingredients.
12. Spa Ritual, vegan nail lacquers.