It was just before suppertime and the sun was finally shining after days of rain showers. I was thinking about our gardening project and how much the children would love it. The frying pan was heating with a little oil in it. As I scraped the chicken off the cutting board and into the pan, the hissing and popping began. Flames shot up all the way to the hood vent overhead! Apparently, the water in the chicken’s marinade made oil splatter catching the whole thing on fire!
I stared at the raging flames in disbelief! Then reality hit…”Oh my god, my house is going to burn down! What if the fire department can’t get here in time? I can’t believe I am going to be responsible for burning down our house!”
Luckily, I quickly recovered from my self-pity. Somewhere in my “databank” I remembered what to do: grab the nearest dishtowel, wet it, wring it and cross my fingers while I put it over the yard high flames! The flames quickly smothered and I was left to tend to my adrenaline rush.
REMEMBER: NEVER POUR WATER ONTO A GREASE FIRE!! You will catch you and everything around you on fire.
I did a quick “systems check.” I was not burned or otherwise injured, but I was still so afraid of the house burning down that I was shaking!! I walked to the table and sat down – I was light headed and slightly short of breath. “Hmmm, I must be in shock,” I thought. I looked at myself in the mirror and GASPED! I was SHEET WHITE! I literally looked scared, as if I’d seen something frightful! I had to laugh at myself 🙂
I took inventory of my symptoms: “ailments from fright; fears; pale and frightful expression; tearful; shock… “
Aconite 30C fit the bill! After one dose I was feeling noticeably better. The fears were lessened, too. Thirty minutes later, when I realized I was still afraid of the house burning down, I took another dose of Aconite which quickly eased the rest of my suffering.
Would I have recovered without homeopathy? Probably. But how long would it have taken me to recover? What other symptoms might have developed? Would my fears have gone away or would they have just lingered in the background? Would this turn into post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
Life can leave a trace that can reduce your quality of life. For example, lingering shocks (mental, emotional and physical) can lower your resistance to stress, increase your susceptibility to disease, cause pain, depression, fatigue or insomnia. When shock stays for the long run, it can turn into post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Long term effects can even include fears and panic attacks.
These people did not have the benefit of homeopathic treatment:
– While driving home, a mother is rear-ended. She’s diagnosed with whiplash and suffers for the next 15 years with debilitating neck pain, headaches and insomnia.
– A boy witnesses a terrible accident. The event replays over and over in his mind. He develops PTSD with nightmares, unexplained fears and behavioral changes which last for years.
– A man has a traumatic injury. There is significant blood loss whereby his blood pressure and body temperature drop. He almost dies from shock. He never fully recovers his health after the accident.
– A young coed is sexually assaulted. Depression and general achiness set in. She drinks heavily and smokes marijuana to cope.
In the homeopathic repertory (an index of symptoms) we have the rubric (symptom) “ailments from…”. Many causes are listed that can create a chronic derangement in the mind or body. In fact, prescribing on the basis of a “cause” can sometimes be more helpful than prescribing on the basis of symptoms alone.
Homeopathy could have helped these folks
– Hypericum would have done wonders for the mother’s whiplash.
– A dose of two of Aconite or possibly Arnica would have helped the boy get over the fright of seeing that terrible accident.
– Arnica and China (Cinchonia) would have greatly helped the man with the traumatic injury recover from the shock and blood loss.
– The young coed would have benefited greatly from Arnica for the trauma of the assault, and later Staphysagria to cope with the anger, grief and indignation of being sexually violated.
When life gets you down, or just knocks you a little, remember: homeopathic treatment for each injurious event can ease your pain, restore your health and might even prevent long-term, unforeseen consequences.