Has your child ever swallowed a foreign object? Chances are, the answer is yes! Perhaps it was a coin, a marble, a toy, a paperclip, a magnet, a battery, or a pen cap. Hopefully, there were no problems, and the object came out as it should. I would like to share with you what happened when our 3½-year-old boy swallowed a quarter and how we used homeopathy to help.
When a child swallows a foreign object, the first concern is whether the object will safely go down the esophagus—or get stuck in the airway, which can be life-threatening. Our son Fritz had been putting random things in his mouth since babyhood—usually a toy, the corner of a book, a spoon, his fingers, your fingers! But on this day, he’d found a quarter lying on the floor and was mouthing it. I had caught him doing this several times in the past with smaller coins, and I had immediately taken them from him. I had also tried to “educate” him about not putting coins and metal in his mouth. He had never swallowed any of these things before though, so I wasn’t overly concerned.
Then it happened…
I was downstairs folding laundry when I heard our 8-year-old daughter’s blood-curdling scream, “MOOOMMM! Fritz has swallowed a quarter!!!” I immediately jumped up knowing that a quarter is fairly large for a 3-year-old to swallow. My first thoughts were to make sure he was breathing. Well, he was. In fact, he was walking down the stairs as I was coming up to him. I could hear swallowing and gulping sounds in addition to little wincing noises—the quarter was apparently stuck in the back of his throat. Read more